Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Wow. It's been a so long since my last post. Once in a while I would visit and revisit this blog but I never thought of posting anything new. No one would probably read a long abandoned blog. Or would they? Well, recently someone read my blog and informed me he read it from my first post till the latest one. He said it brought back sweet memories. But then again, those are the exact same reason why i revisit my own blog. My bittersweet memories.

So who is this He who took his time to read my every line? He's the one I used to address as 'LoVeLy FiaNce' in this blog. He who was once that but is now my LoVeLy HuSbaNd. Yes. We got married. A few years back. Our honey baby girl eL Kiraz Sodiqin is turning 1 next month. And I have decided to update this blog today.

I've switched to a new career. A new place but same old activity. I still teach I'd probably teach for the rest of my life. I hope how I look at children will never change no matter how long I may be in this line. I practically brainwashed myself to keep a positive view towards children development and learning. Lol. And by now, it has become my belief. I believe that a child's environment affects his/her development. Hence, affect them in a positive way. It is sad when some teachers attacks at a child's weakness. I do not see how that will help the child.

Embrace this quote: 'When did we ever get the crazy idea that in order to make children do better, first you have to make them feel worse?' - Jane Nelson

Seriously, do you really think they will boost their own self-esteem after you pin them down with their weaknesses? A child's weaknesses is the fault of the adults around them. And that includes the teachers. Instead of highlighting a child's weaknesses, why not divert the focus, yours and theirs, towards their abilities and capabilities. Once you realise that they are capable of so many things, you will be driven to bring them up to the next level. At the same time, you are helping the child boost their confidence and self-esteem. pointing out a mistake is okay but do it purposefully. Beware not to gang up with another teacher when you are doing this. Make sure you rant about the behaviour not about the child's self. You may tell a child that hurting a friend physically or emotionally is not acceptable for instance but never tell a child not to be a bully. Focus on the behaviour not the child.

If a child is not on par with the rest of the class in terms of learning abilities, find out the reason. There is a high chance that his foundation has not been grounded well. Check the level your child is at currently and take necessary actions during extra classes. Address all learning issues as soon as possible. If you drag, it will be harder for the child to move on and hence, for you too. If you spend your time dissing the child for not being able to do his work without figuring out why, it is no wonder the child is not learning anything further. Therefore, save yourself and the child from some stress. Stop nagging and dissing but find a solution instead. Think positive! ;)  

No comments: